BTEA NORTHEAST PHILANTHROPY
THOMAS J. GUNNING FUND
The Gunning family is proud to launch the TJG Fund in memory of Tom, who lived his life in service to others. As a father, husband, friend, executive director, mentor or coach, Tom always tried to make the world around him better. What truly set Tom apart was his unique ability to connect with anyone, and everyone, he met. If you were fortunate enough to meet Tom Gunning, you had a cherished friend and supporter for life. It was this unparalleled level of connection and support that made Tom an Industry Legend and Friend to All. The TJG Fund will honor Tom’s legacy by supporting the vast number of causes that he cherished.
The 1st Annual BTEA Northeast Golf Tournament will benefit the TJG Fund. Donations will be made to The American Liver Foundation, Pancreatic Cancer Action Network (PanCAN) and Team IMPACT, among others.
Executive Director Emeritus
Thomas J. Gunning passed away peacefully, surrounded by his family, on July 16, 2022. On behalf of the Building Trades Employers’ Association Northeast and the Gunning family, we would like to thank everyone for the outpouring of support. Tom Gunning dedicated his life to advancing the construction industry, working as a laborer in Local 223 and ultimately retiring as the Executive Director Emeritus of the Building Trades Employers’ Association Northeast. Serving over 250 contractors for more than 35 years, Tom’s illustrious career lives on through the work of the countless professionals he mentored throughout his tenure. Most importantly, Tom was a friend to all and will be greatly missed.
THOMAS S. GUNNING FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP
The Thomas S. Gunning Foundation has established a scholarship program to assist employees, immediate family members of employees or immediate family of BTEA Northeast members who plan to pursue post-secondary education in college and vocational programs. Scholarships are offered each year for full-time study at the accredited post-secondary undergraduate institution of the student’s choice.
- Applicants are eligible for up to four years of scholarships.
- Must be a Member of BTEA Northeast, their employees and their respective immediate family. Immediate family is defined as self, spouse or child. The child may be natural, legally adopted or a stepchild.
- High school seniors or graduates who plan to enroll in a full-time undergraduate course of study at an accredited two or four-year college, university or vocational-technical school.
Scholarship recipients are selected based on academic record, potential of academic achievement, demonstrated leadership, extracurriculars in school and/or within the community, honors, work experience, a statement of educational and career goals and an outside recommendation.
- Final selection of recipients is made by the BTEA Northeast Board of Trustees.
- Award recipients will be notified by September 1st.
- Not all applicants to the program will be selected as recipients. Individuals are always welcome to reapply.
All applications and associated materials are due no later than June 30th, 2023 and must be postmarked with that date or submitted electronically before then.